Maria EichlsederAss.Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. BSc BSc
Cryptology & Privacy, Assistant Professor
My research interests include the design and cryptanalysis of symmetric cryptographic algorithms, such as hash functions and authenticated encryption algorithms and their underlying primitives: permutations, (tweakable) block ciphers, etc. In my research, I am particularly interested in their “practical security”, which includes robustness against misuse and implementation attacks in addition to cryptanalytic security. I enjoy exploring mathematical aspects of cryptanalysis, useful tools and heuristics, and connections between cryptanalytic and physical attacks.
Online resources on selected research topics (see links for collaboration partners):
- Ascon, a family of authenticated ciphers and hash functions, winner in the “lightweight” category of the CAESAR competition and now competing in the NIST lightweight crypto standardization process
- ISAP, a lightweight authenticated cipher designed for robustness against side-channel attacks, now competing in the NIST lightweight crypto standardization process
- CASTLE tools, some of my research team’s cryptanalysis tools and source code for our papers
- Malicious SHA-1
I teach cryptography as part of several undergraduate and graduate courses (see TUGRAZonline):
- Information Security (lecture: winter term 2022/23, 2021/22, 2020/21, 2019/20)
- Cryptography (lecture and practicals: winter term 2022/23, 2021/22, 2020/21)
- Cryptanalysis (lecture/seminar and practicals: summer term 2021/22 2020/21)
- Introduction to Scientific Working (seminar: winter term 2022/23, 2021/22, 2020/21)
You can find many of my lectures on Youtube.
Previously offered courses:
- Applied Cryptography (lecture and practicals: 2014/15–2019/20, see “Cryptography”)
- Applied Cryptography 2 (lecture/seminar and practicals: 2014/15–2019/20, see “Cryptanalysis”)
- Computermathematik (lecture with integrated practicals: 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16)
- Diskrete Stochastik und Informationstheorie (practicals: 2013/14)
- Erstellung wissenschaftlicher Arbeiten mit LaTeX (Interne Weiterbildung: 2014/15–2017/18)
Peer-reviewing as a Program Committee or Editorial Board member:
- 2023: Eurocrypt 2023, CT-RSA 2023
- 2022: Asiacrypt 2022, FSE 2022 / ToSC 21/22, DCC 2022, SAC 2022, PQCifris 2022; see also Frisiacrypt 2022
- 2021: ToSC 20/21, SAC 2021, CFail 2021
- 2020: Eurocrypt 2020, FSE 2020 / ToSC 19/20, SAC 2020, Indocrypt 2020, IWSMR 2020
- 2019: FSE 2019 / ToSC 18/19, Latincrypt 2019
- 2018: FSE 2018 / ToSC 17/18, SAC 2018
Cryptographic circuits (git)
- TU Graz Corporate Design (restricted access):
Thesis titlepage and affidavit (TU4U, git)
Presentations (TU4U, git)
Documents and reports (TU4U, git)
- IAIK Templates:
Master’s theses (git) and projects (git)
Bachelor’s theses (git) and ISW reports (git)
Student project topics (git – restricted)
Crypto lecture slides (git – restricted)
Computing Expected Differential Probability of (Truncated) Differentials and Expected Linear Potential of (Multidimensional) Linear Hulls in SPN Block Ciphers
Eichlseder M., Leander G., Rasoolzadeh S.
Progress in Cryptology – INDOCRYPT 2020 - 21st International Conference on Cryptology in India 2020, Proceedings, 21st International Conference on Cryptology in India, 345-369, (Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics); vol. 12578 LNCS)
Dobraunig C., Eichlseder M., Mendel F., Schofnegger M.
Selected Areas in Cryptography – SAC 2019 - 26th International Conference, Revised Selected Papers, Selected Areas in Cryptography - SAC 2019, 149-170, (Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics); vol. 11959 LNCS)
Eichlseder M., Grassi L., Lüftenegger R., Øygarden M., Rechberger C., Schofnegger M., Wang Q.
Advances in Cryptology – ASIACRYPT 2020 - 26th International Conference on the Theory and Application of Cryptology and Information Security, 2020, Proceedings, 26th International Conference on the Theory and Application of Cryptology and Information Security, Daejeon, South Korea, December 7–11, 2020, Proceedings, Part , ASIACRYPT 2020 , 477-506, (Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics); vol. 12491 LNCS)
Out of Oddity - New Cryptanalytic Techniques against Symmetric Primitives Optimized for Integrity Proof Systems
Beyne T., Canteaut A., Dinur I., Eichlseder M., Leander G., Leurent G., Naya-Plasencia M., Sasaki Y., Todo Y., Wiemer F.
Advances in Cryptology - CRYPTO 2020 - 40th Annual International Cryptology Conference, Proceedings, 299-328, (Lecture Notes in Computer Science; vol. 12172)