Mobile Security (SS 2022)
Table of Content
This course is a seminar-style class which focuses on security aspects of mobile devices. We study the security mechanisms of smartphones and show how to employ them to protect sensitive information. Based on that, we analyze mobile applications regarding security-critical deficiencies, examine platform and application vulnerabilities and discuss how they can be exploited by attackers.
- Security features of mobile platforms, e.g. Android, iOS, …
- Access protection (PIN, Patterns, …), Secure Element, OS updates, permissions, sandboxing, …
- Which mechanisms are provided in order to protect sensitive data?
- How do they work?
- Key and data storage on mobile devices
- Device encryption, key derivation functions, key management, risks
- Which kind of keys do you manage on your device?
- In practice, what are the risks you have to cope with?
- Using mobile devices for identity management
- Mobile e-signatures, threats
- Application analysis
- Tools and approaches, vulnerabilities and exploits, handling sensitive data, security-critical mistakes
- Attacking today’s smartphones
- Side-channels, Man-in-the-middle, jailbreaking, consequences
- Mobile Phone Networks
- IMSI Catchers, attacking phones, vulnerabilities in communication networks
The lecture for Mobile Security enables you to acquire knowledge about trending topics in the field of Android and iOS. Attendance is not mandatory but you are encouraged to participate continuously in order to get the “big picture”. Slides will be uploaded and linked after each lecture.
|18.03.2022||Introduction & Motivation|
|25.03.2022||Key & Data Storage on Mobile Devices, Assignment 1|
|01.04.2022||iOS Platform Security
Also see: iOS Security Guide
|08.04.2022||iOS Application Security
Also see: Evasi0n Jailbreak: Userspace, Kernel Patches, Source Code
|29.04.2022||Android Platform Security
Also see: The Android Platform Security Model
|06.05.2022||Android Application Security|
|13.05.2022||Mobile Hardware Security|
|20.05.2022||Mobile Security Research
Also see: All the further resources linked at the end of the slide set
|03.06.2022||Q&A for Assignment 2|
|10.06.2022||Presentation of your task 2 results|
Practicals and Misc
Everything related to the practicals and further material can be found on the assignments page.
For better coordination during the course, you are invited to join the # mobilesec Discord channel. To ensure that you won’t miss any essential information, there will also be old-school updates via email.
20.03.2022: Deadline to register for the lecture and the practicals class.
28.03.2022: Assignments: Select a topic for task 2 and write me an e-mail
10.04.2022: Assignments – Task 1: Submit your results as described on the slides for task 1.
08.06.2022: Assignments – Task 2 : Deadline for sending the deliverable and slides via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
10.06.2022: Assignments – Task 2 : Final presentations
June 2022: Lecture: Written exam
Basically, each student who wants to obtain a grade for the lecture has to pass an exam. You may select and register for an exam date via TUGRAZonline.