Advanced Computer Networks / Mobile Security
Table of Content
This course is a seminar-style class which focuses on security aspects of mobile devices. We study the security mechanisms of smartphones and show how to employ them to protect sensitive information. Based on that, we analyze mobile applications regarding security-critical deficiencies, examine platform and application vulnerabilities and discuss how they can be exploited by attackers.
- Security features of mobile platforms, e.g. Android, iOS, …
- Access protection (PIN, Patterns, …), Secure Element, OS updates, permissions, sandboxing concept, …
- Which mechanisms are provided in order to protect sensitive data?
- How do they work?
- Key and data storage on mobile devices
- Device encryption, key derivation functions, key management, risks
- Which kind of keys do you manage on your device?
- In practice, what are the risks you have to cope with?
- Using mobile devices for identity management
- Mobile e-signatures, threats
- Application analysis
- Tools and approaches, vulnerabilities and exploits, handling sensitive data, security-critical mistakes
- Attacking today’s smartphones
- Side-channels, Man-in-the-middle, jailbreaking, consequences
- Mobile Phone Networks
- IMSI Catchers, attacking phones, vulnerabilities in communication networks
The lecture for Advanced Computer Networks enables you to acquire knowledge about trending topics in the field of mobile security. Attendance is not mandatory but you are encouraged to participate continuously in order to get the “big picture”. More organisational details are outlined in the first set of slides and below.
|05.03.2020||Introduction & Motivation|
|12.03.2020||Key & Data Storage on Mobile Devices , Assignment 1 → Lecture Recording|
|02.04.2020||iOS Platform Security → Lecture Recording
Also see: iOS Security Guide
|23.04.2020||iOS Application Security → Lecture Recording
Also see: iOS of Sauron – How iOS Tracks Everything You Do, Malicious MDM
|30.04.2020||Android Platform Security → Lecture Recording
Also see: Kr00k, KRACK, BlueBorne, The Android Platform Security Model
|07.05.2020||Android Application Security → Lecture Recording
Also see: Lippizan (1, 2), WhatsApp Backups
|14.05.2020||Static & Dynamic Application Analysis → Lecture Recording|
|04.06.2020||Mobile Network Security → Lecture Recording
Also see: LTE Ciphercheck, Reporters are looking for IMSI catchers in the UK
|18.06.2020||Presentations of Task 2 Results → Lecture Recording|
|30.06.2020||Main exam from 13:00-14:30 in HS i1.|
|02.07.2020||Additional exam possibility from 10:30-12:00 in HS i1|
Practicals and Misc
Everything related to the practicals and further material can be found in the Wiki.
Basically, each student who wants to obtain a grade for the lecture has to pass an exam. You may select and register for an exam date via TUGRAZonline.