Applied Cryptography 2
This lecture aims to give you some in-depth knowledge of several recent state-of-the-art topics in cryptography, with a focus on cryptanalysis. Topics to be covered:
- Cryptanalysis of block ciphers
- Cryptanalysis of hash functions
- Algebraic attacks
- Modern algorithms for factoring and discrete logarithm problems
- Lattices and continued fractions in cryptanalysis
In addition, selected topics may be presented by participating students. Possible seminar topics include, but are not limited to:
- Block Ciphers: MitM Attacks, Biclique, etc.
- Block Ciphers: Lightweight Crypto
- Block Ciphers: Statistical Attacks
- Block Ciphers: Division Property
- Hash Functions: Multi-Collisions
- Hash Functions: Rebound Attack
- Authenticated Encryption: Modes, Robustness, Security notions, etc.
- Authenticated Encryption: Permutation-based Cryptography, Tweakable Block Ciphers, etc.
- Algebraic Attacks: Gröbner Basis, etc.
- Elliptic-Curve Cryptography: Advanced topics
- Lattices: The NTRU cryptosystem
- Lattices: Learning with errors
- Selected Topics: Tools in Symmetric Crypto (MILP, SAT, etc.)
- Selected Topics: Backdoors in Cryptography
- Selected Topics: Password Hashing
- Selected Topics: Secure Multi-Party Computation
- Selected Topics: Homomorphic encryption
- Selected Topics: Error correcting codes and cryptography
|VO||Thu 15:00–16:30+||HS i1||Slides|
There are 2 ways to get a grade for the VO:
- Exam mode: Write exam on 29 June or oral exam later
- Seminar mode: Participate actively in KU+VO and give a seminar presentation in June (45 minutes)
You can find the exam dates and registration in TUGRAZonline.
In the exercises, you implement cryptanalysis techniques from the lecture in teams of 2. To get a grade, you submit your implementations for 2 assignments, which we will discuss with you in a final interview ("Abgabegespräch"). Use the Student Tick System (STicS ») to register your team and upload your submissions. We usually won't need the 16:30–17:15 KU timeslots (except for question times and seminar presentations).
Important dates and deadlines
|05.03.2017||VO/KU registration deadline (TUGRAZonline)|
|23.03.2017||Team registration deadline (STicS)|
|23.03.2017||Assignment 1 release|
|06.04.2017, 27.04.2017||Assignment 1 question time|
|04.05.2017||Assignment 1 submission|
|11.05.2017||Assignment 2 release|
|08.06.2017||Assignment 2 question time|
|22.06.2017||Assignment 2 submission|
|29.06.2017||VO written exam|
Lecture slides are available for download.View downloads »
Student Tick System
Use the Student Tick System to register your team, upload your submissions, and (optionally) select a topic for the seminar.View STicS »
As additional literature, I recommend the following books:
L.R. Knudsen, M.J.B. Robshaw,
"Cryptograhpy, an Introduction",
Mcgraw-Hill Professional, ISBN 978-0077099879, 2002.
J. Hoffstein, J. Pipher, J.H. Silverman
"An Introduction to Mathematical Cryptography",
Springer, ISBN 978-0387779935, 2008.